Thumbnails

Saturday 27 September 2014

Haunted By Faces


When first given this assignment, I was a bit overwhelmed about the idea to find faces everywhere, and I thought it was going to be difficult. Well, it can be difficult, but it is do-able as well; depending on how we see things visually and how fast we catch them.

Face Anatomy Basics


The face layout: two symmetrical eyebrows, eyes and nostrils + mouth; altogether inside a roundish frame 

Over the time, this "smiley face" icon is developed, extracting what the creator thinks are the crucial elements that make a face look like a face.
Simplified face layout: 2 eyes made of dots/ovals/other geometric shapes + rectangular-based mouth (in this case, banana mouth)


The simplified face becomes my sort of cheat sheet in doing this task. In taking these pictures, I tended to look just for a symmetrical pair of shapes and something square-ish /curvy below them.
Eyes are marked with 2 dots in some pictures for better clarity :-)

An artwork exhibited in "Sensorium 360", Singapore Art Museum
Kunefe, a Turkish dessert

A Cambridge- Satchel Bag

Quinoa Salad.
Leaves on top as nose
Watermelon cube as mouth
Almond tart, reminds me of a poodle!
Glass ceilings in Bras Basah MRT Station

Pillar outside a temple.
It looks like some kind of monster creature inside mythologies, with the color red and dwelling lips.

A Plate of Pancakes, berries and vanilla ice cream
Alarm Clock
A hanging artwork found at Level 1 of NAFA Campus 1 Wing B
 ***

Here are some interesting discoveries I took from internet:

 Jesus's Face found on a slice of naan bread
(Read more here)

Skull on a wilted rose

Another face of Jesus; found on tiles

I've actually experienced something similar with the last picture, which is to see a "face" on tiles. My parents bought a unit of apartment when I was in my home country, and we didn't get to choose our own tile pattern for the bathrooms, since it was all taken care by the building management. After the unit was done, we started living there. One day when I was sitting on the toilet, I found myself seeing a female head on the tile. IT WAS SO CLEAR that it scared me off; and it appears on every single bathroom tile in the apartment, sometimes upside down. Too bad I didn't have the picture with me now!
*

No comments:

Post a Comment